Episode 20 - What the Heck is Kombucha? July 20 2016, 0 Comments
What if we told you of an ancient elixir that could naturally give you energy, make you healthier, serve as a probiotic, aid in digestion, clear mental fog, and tastes amazing? Would you believe us? Given its many beneficial properties, it may sound like magic. Well, to many, it is magical!
The ancient drink is known none other as Kombucha! Kombucha is rich in history and rooted in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Kombucha has recently been making headway in the conventional, and scientific realms as the connection between our gut health and mental health grow stronger.
Hannah Crum of Kombuchakamp.com has taken it upon herself to spread the history, facts, and benefits of this healing drink to the masses while debunking common misconceptions. She specializes in teaching others to brew kombucha in the comfort of their homes and has even written a book, The Big Book of Kombucha, with her husband and partner Alex LaGory. The big book contains over 400 DIY recipes!
In this episode of The Too Fit Podcast, Hannah unpacks the personal story of how kombucha found her and the comprehensive benefits of Kombucha. We also dive into the nitty-gritty of brewing your own batch at home. Other questions Hannah answers include:
- What exactly is Kombucha?
- What does "Kombucha" mean? Literally...
- What is the history of kombucha and fermented drinks?
- What is kombucha doing in space?
- Is drinking kombucha right for me?
- Should I worry about the sugar content in kombucha?
- What are the craziest ailments that kombucha has healed?
- What brands of kombucha does the Kombucha Momma recommend?
- What does the future hold for kombucha?
- Why is it so costly? And how do I make my own?
- And how would I get mine to taste good?
- How does the Kombucha Momma spend her free time?
There is no question that Hannah is an absolute expert on this subject. She is about to blow your mind! She is, by the way, the Kombucha Ambassador to The World! By the end of this conversation, you will be craving fermented tea!
Show Notes and Other Mentions
Get Involved: Kombucha Brewers International - Trade Association
Continuous Brew vs. Batch Brew (Scroll to the bottom of the page)